A short synopsis

The truth and nothing but the truth, well, until a beer flashes past in an irresistible mini skirt cutting short any intellectual forth-comings. Usurping the internet trolling patrons' intelligence, dummies unite (that'll be me included then)

Thursday 28 February 2013

Telemarketers, Oh joy unbounded


It’s six o’clock, you’ve just returned home from another kak (that’ll be directly translated to shit for our truly English friends) day at work, the call you received earlier long since forgotten between compiling the latest spend report for your technically challenged boss and balancing your smoke breaks and lunch. You throw your keys on the counter, briefcase next to the dining room table and crack your first beer. Relaxing, you make your way towards your bedroom, kicking your shoes in a perfected Naas Botha drop, your first shoe landing close to where your girlfriend will more than likely bitch about its proximity to her side of the bed. It’s when you remove your cell phone from your pocket you remember the call. 

“Yes yes, I understand you’re doing your job, and I’m currently doing mine, so if you really want to make the sales pitch, phone me after five, when I’m home!”  Sounds familiar, doesn’t it? In the hope of the telemarketer not phoning you back, you take the friendlier route in telling them they can phone back at a more appropriate time. The question remains though, when is a more appropriate time? 

Thinking the said telemarketer has certainly moved on by now annoying yet another Joe Public, you decide to have some ‘me’ time. Between your lactose intolerance and the poor state of the work’s ablutions, going to the loo at work not being first priority. Only being human, you require some stimulating reading material during your ‘me’ time. This being said, you’ve been banished from the on-suite toilet to the guest toilet by your girlfriend, and this being the guest toilet there’s no motivating/inspirational cream/hair product labels to read. No worries you think, I’ve got Sudoku on my phone. Brilliant, who says only woman can multitask? Without being crude, concentrating on not spilling your beer while playing Sudoku and simultaneously having ‘me’ time is no mean feat. Score one for the guys. 

Whilst taking a swig from your beer, finding that illusive nine across in-between blocks three and two, you at first don’t see the incoming call. Got the nine you think, pressing enter. O shit, call answered.
“Hello sir, you’re speaking to Tshepo Piet Naidoo from Modacell, my colleague forwarded the lead of earlier and I would like to inform you that you’ve been preselected for a wonderful package including a free cell phone”
“…Crap”
“No sir, I can assure you this is a legitimate deal”
“No, I said I’m having a crap”
…poop poop poop… (The dial tone of an ended call, not what’s happening in the bathroom I can assure you)

Really for fuck's sake, when is an appropriate time?

1 comment: